Wednesday & Sunday Mornings from 6th Aug 2023
Local photographer, Michelle Cowbourne, has been capturing stunning images of Glastonbury Tor for many years and in all seasons. Many of you will have enjoyed her images on her socials (@glastomichelle) or will have some of her postcards, greetings cards or calendars in your home.
And now, you can learn how to create your own masterpieces, with Michelle’s new Dawn Photography Workshops! Michelle is very modest and claims not to be an expert, but we beg to differ when we look at the work she produces. That said, her 4.5 hour (approx) workshops, which include a trip up the Tor, at the crack of dawn (or before), and then a discussion and coffee afterwards, are very much about positioning, composition and setting the scene for beginners and those who want to learn about the best places to capture great images of one of Somerset’s most iconic landmarks.
Sessions take place most Wednesday and Sunday mornings (dependent on numbers), however, there may be some flexibility, which can be discussed directly with Michelle.
You will need some level of fitness in order to climb the Tor, however, the pace will be slow and will try to accommodate everyone’s needs. Other basic requirements are that you are willing to be up very early, own a camera or phone with a camera, wear decent footwear and a memory card reader if you want to show your captured images to the group afterwards.
Workshops will have a maximum of 4-6 people and a minimum of 2. Also on offer, for an extra charge, are one to one workshops. Michelle will try to be flexible in terms of dates to fit around you or your dates, whether you are local or staying at Old Oaks. See more info by clicking the box below.
More about Michelle here.
Max group size: 4 Minimum group size: 2 (unless you opt for a one to one)
What to bring
Camera or camera phone, walking boots or sturdy shoes, raincoat and any other clothing to cover all weather eventualities, food/drink/snacks.
Ideally, the weather will be kind and the sun will shine, however, be fully prepared to venture out regardless of whatever mother nature throws at us. Great shots can be taken no matter what the weather. Only heavy rain, strong winds or conditions deemed to be dangerous will spoil our fun! Flexibility on dates / days may be possible. Please contact Michelle directly.
£125 per person (max of 4-6). One to one session, £195.
For further information about the courses contact Michelle direct:
Bookings taken via Old Oaks’ sister company Glastonbury Tours, which is owned and run by Tara White, manager at Old Oaks.
- Meet 30-45 minutes before sunrise at the bench near the Tor bus stop.
- Quick chat about aims and expectations for the day.
- Walk slowly up the Tor talking about the light and what we hope will unfold as the sun rises.
- Walk around at the top looking at various vantage points depending on time of year. Basic guide to composition.
- 45-60 minutes photographing the location/sunrise with the aim to capture the tower and/or the view.
- Walk back to Old Oaks possibly along Stonedown Lane/Paradise Lane so we can capture views on the way
- Back to Old Oaks for coffee and a chat about our photographs and possibly some editing/viewing of peoples photographs. Up to an hour.
- Summary of the days events and possibly view 12 of Michelle’s favourite images from each month showing how the light and scene varies. 30 mins.
Approx 4.5 to 5 hours in total