Practical Caravan Top 100 Best Green Site Award 2019
We take our environmental responsibility seriously and our touring park has been developed with ecology at the forefront of everything that we do.
Our aim at Old Oaks is to minimise our impact on resources while enhancing the environment around us for the benefit of all.
From foxes and badgers to the abundance of birds and butterflies, the park is teeming with life. A perfect destination for your environmentally friendly holidays.
We have an old Victorian style reed bed which was the predecessor to our treatment plant (not on mains sewerage), which filters waste water from the plant in a natural, chemical-free way whilst providing an excellent habitat for wildlife. Our plan is to create an area for guests to enjoy this space soon.
There are recycling points for almost all types of waste, situated around the park, which we strongly encourage our customers to use as much as possible.
Our focus going forward will be to further reduce our plastic waste.
Our efforts have been recognised by the fact we’ve won the David Bellamy Gold Conservation award for environmental excellence for 15 years. We also scooped the David Bellamy Special Distinction Award in recognition of the green technology used in the development of our shower block, Middle Oaks, a few years back.
What makes our park so environmentally friendly?
Some of the things we’ve done around the park over the years include:
- Local water and milk (coming Oct 20) sold only in glass bottles
- 5 new hedgehog houses for Winter 2019/2020
- Facilities block built using the latest energy efficient technologies, including solar thermal hot water system, heat recovery system, air source heat pump, very low energy LED lighting and much more
- All new installations of lighting and heating are sourced based on energy efficiency
- Ongoing hedge laying to encourage wildlife
- Encouraging bird life with our ‘borrow a bird feeder’ scheme
- Sourcing local suppliers of local produce wherever possible
- Reducing our carbon footprint by providing a caravan storage facility, which reduces the number of cars and caravans on the local roads
- Lots of recycling points and bins with clear labelling
- Actively encouraging guests to recycle all their waste both on site and via our welcome booklet
- Investing in waste compacting equipment to reduce volume and transport costs of recycled materials
- Actively promoting local businesses, walks and attractions to encourage guests to stay local and reduce fuel emissions
- Sowing of wild flower seeds
- Creating a woodland walk and wildflower meadow
- Transforming the reed into a wildlife area for guests to enjoy
- Extensive planting of native trees, shrubs and hedging over the years has helped to create a peaceful, green sanctuary for both people and wildlife alike
- Linking with local food providers to bring takeaways to the park, 5 days a week
Discover more of Old Oaks
Whether you’re touring, camping or glamping, you’re free to make use of the fantastic on-park facilities available to all our guests here at Old OaksView more details
Over the past 30 years we've built a strong reputation by providing the best holiday experiences for our guests - and our awards speak for themselvesView more details